We invite experienced professionals, talented office support and new graduates to investigate the broad range of employment opportunities identified below. To learn more about our association, go to the AMA Workplace, or check out our employee benefits.
If you experience technical difficulty completing the AMA's application for employment contact Placement@ama-assn.org
The Vice President of Educational Outcomes will provide vision, leadership, direction, and the managerial and budgetary oversight for AMA programs that are part of its strategic plan to accelerate changes in medical education.
Working with the Vice President of Medical Education, and with the advice of nationally-recognized leaders in the field, the Vice President of Educational Outcomes is responsible for the effective and efficient administration of all operational, programmatic, and administrative activities related to the AMA’s focus to strategically transform Undergraduate Medical Education. In this highly visible role within an organization with a powerful history of influence on medical education, the Vice President of Educational Outcomes will oversee the coordinated development, communication, implementation and evaluation of AMA’s multi-year initiative aimed at advancing and accelerating educational program innovation within undergraduate medical schools. The Vice President of Educational Outcomes will also work closely with existing AMA groups and staff involved in medical education leadership, including the AMA Council on Medical Education and related sections.
A central tactic of the AMA’s initiative will be to engage national leaders, identify a set of high priority innovations that line up with the recommendations in recent reports on medical education reform by AMA and others, identify through a national competition a select group of medical schools interested in change, provide funding to catalyze the desired changes, provide technical support and a learning community throughout the process, evaluate the outcomes, and spread the successful strategies.
The Vice President of Educational Outcomes will have direct oversight of this exciting demonstration project and the opportunity to guide, collaborate, and imagine the future of this ambitious initiative we expect to leave an imprint on 21st century medical education. The Vice President of Educational Outcomes will establish the program evaluation strategy by developing the evaluation protocol, designing and collecting supportive data from the demonstration projects and supplementing this information with other AMA data related activities. One important integration will be focused on the already existing AMA sponsored medical school research collaborative of 28 US and Canadian medical schools, conducting in a longitudinal study of the medical education learning environment.
To qualify for this important position, you must meet the following requirements:
• Doctoral-level preparation in medicine, education, or a related healthcare field as evidenced by a Ph.D., Ed.D. or M. D. degree.
• A sophisticated understanding of medical education with an ability to convey cogent thoughts and interact with confidence with leaders of the medical education community.
• A minimum of five years experience with medical school educational programs and the evaluation of programs and learners.
• Demonstrated accomplishments in program evaluation using multi-method approaches, including quantitative and qualitative design and analysis of data, to determine program outcomes and effectiveness.
• Knowledge of theories, trends, and principles of medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing physician professional development. Demonstrated knowledge of the skills needed to work in an academic or non-profit environment.
• Experience in managing medical education, programs, structures, policies, and procedures. Knowledge of governance, organizational structures, and the process necessary to plan and implement new academic and administrative policies and programs.
• Demonstrated proficiency in program evaluation and data management skills, including designing and supervising database management and analysis and selection of data management and analysis software. (eg., Access, SPSS)
• Experience in pre and post award grant and RFP processes at medical schools, Experience with IRB protocols. Experience with multi site research is desired.
• Excellent speaking and writing ability and a track record of scholarship, presentations, and peer-reviewed publication .
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills with the ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, professionalism, responsiveness, and a high level of flexibility and persuasion.
• Effective problem-solving, conflict management and mediation skills.
• Experience in staff supervision and managing staff in a cross-functional team environment. Experience with responsibility for hiring, directing, evaluating, and remediation is desirable.
In return for your expertise, the AMA also offers employees a unique opportunity -- to play a role in shaping the way health care is provided in this country. We offer a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as a convenient downtown location. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce, and we encourage Veterans to apply!
Internal candidates may apply by completing an internal Career Opportunity Application found on our Intranet site, and submitting it to Peggy Boswell in Human Resources. External applicants may apply by going to www.ama-assn.jobs. We hope to hear from you soon!